Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Parents as Teachers -- FIRST VISIT!!

"Children come into this world ready for love and learning.  You are your child's first and most influential teacher.  But your baby was not born with directions!  Parents as Teachers informs, supports, and encourages parents like you in this important role.

Parents as Teachers has a vision: that all children will grow and develop to reach their full potential.  Isn't that what we all want for our children?  Through Parents as Teachers, you will partner with a parent educator focused on your child's healthy growth and development.

Your parent educator will personalize information to fit with your family's needs, concerns, and hopes.  Together you will discuss goals for you as a parent and for your child.  You will build on your strengths and skills."

Today my parent educator, Patty, came by for her first visit with Clara and I.  It was great!  I had been to a few play group meetings before today (unfortunately, there are not very many kids that go to that that are as young as Clara), but I had been on the wait list for a parent educator until now.  She brought over a few things for Clara to look at and play with: black, white, and red pictures of a duck and a zebra and a book with pictures of babies.




We also filled out quite a bit of paperwork... but isn't that true for every program or organization.  It was just a chance for her to get to know both Clara and I and for us to get to know her.  It seems like Clara is on track for development according to their literature... even though I was worried about her not being able to roll over yet. 

We meet with Patty again next month.  I can't wait to see what Clara can do by then and what activity she brings for us to do.  This program is nationwide, just visit http://www.parentsasteachers.org/location to find one near you! 

(I just checked because I know many of the people who read my blog live in Red Bud, IL and this program is not available through the Red Bud school district.  You could still look at the website and read more information to see if it would be something you would like to get in your area.  My parent educator told me that kids who are in the program usually do better in school!)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds awesome! No big surprise that Red Bud doesn't offer it, haha. But I'm still going to check out the website. :)

    ReplyDelete