Monday, January 23, 2012

To Do or Not To Do?


You have seen my pictures.  What do you think?  Do you think that I could take something I really enjoy into something more?  I am thinking about making my love of photography into a business.  Would you like me to take your pictures?


Reasons I want to do this:

I enjoy creating great pictures.  Yes, I am still new at doing this, but I am learning a lot with every picture that I take. 
Photography makes me feel like I am doing something that matters.  I love that I stay home with Clara, but I need something more: something that is just mine and makes me feel accomplished (in a different way than being a mother).

I am sure that I could come up with more than that, but those are the biggest reasons that I have.


Reasons not to do this:

Moving around with the Army will not allow me to keep a customer base.
Self-employed business taxes can be overwhelming!
Lots of photographers out there (with a lot more experience than me)


Please share with me your opinions on why I should or should not start a photography business (and be honest).  I value your opinions!  And, along with that, say some prayers for me while I'm making this huge decision.  Thanks!


4 comments:

  1. I love these posts, Emily! Sorry I don't respond! I think that this is a big decision and I'm glad you're making it! I think that if you wanted to start small you could potentially take pictures and sell them on etsy.com and work with maybe your military friends and come up with packages that are similar pricing to say - the picture people in the mall? They are cheap, but it could be a starting point. That way you're competitive. As far as taxes go, I know there is some sort of law that says if you make less that $X then you don't have to pay taxes on said income. Might want to look into it :-) Hope this helps some! Good luck! Your pictures are amazing so I know you'll do great with whatever you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and this is from Sarah Doenges btw :-)

      Delete
  2. Go for it girl!! My dad was a photographer, so pictures have a special place in my heart. He still lives through the pictures he has taken & I absolutely love it! You don't necessarily HAVE to have an actual business. You could just do it as a side job & get paid cash. That way you can plan your schedule around Clara. In order to be the best mommy you can be you have to be happy with yourself. This sounds like the key to make both worlds possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a good way to get started (and make sure it's something you REALLY want to do) is to offer mini-sessions occasionally. Have a cute set up for Easter or a good summertime backdrop or even pumpkins and hay bales in the fall. Then send out invites and see several families in one day. It would be a good way to make a little extra money without committing full time. You're right, there are SO many people doing this same thing right now, but if someone around here offered affordable mini-sessions now and then I'd be all over that!

    ReplyDelete